We’ve all heard about antivirus software for your computer and it is generally recommended to install an antivirus on your computer, but no one really explains why it is an absolute necessity in 2021.
To understand, we need to start from the very beginning.
What is a “virus”?
Think of a virus in terms of your own body. We’re particularly aware of viruses in the past 18 months, aren’t we? A virus is something that makes you sick and (usually) can be treated with medicine.
Well, it’s exactly the same in terms of a computer! A virus is a malicious programme created to insert itself into the existing code of other programmes. This is also how it spreads from one device to another. This is why it is necessary for you to have an antivirus in 2021 and 2022.
It’s kind of similar to a real virus, it can spread from one person to the next, right?
What is an antivirus?
Well, if a virus is something that infects your computer, then an antivirus can be seen as the vaccine or cure.
Antivirus software is installed on your computer. Once installed, it starts protecting and securing your files and software from harmful attacks.
How do antivirus programmes work?
Antiviruses can do quite a few things.
Some software systems are more advanced and can do more than others, but most of them usually have these following functions:
- preventing malicious programmes to enter their code in the first place,
- detecting when a computer is infected, and
- promptly removing the virus.
While having a lot of benefits, the internet can be a scary place.
For every well-meaning person creating new and innovative technology, there will be someone else creating malicious software to create havoc.
DID YOU KNOW?
You can set your antivirus programme to automatically scan and run on your computer. Or you can set it so that you manually scan your computer for malware.
Against which viruses will antivirus software protect you?
We often refer to many different types of harmful programmes under the same term – viruses. However, the correct umbrella term for malicious programmes is “Malware”.
What is Malware?
Malware, or malicious software, refers to any software designed to do the dirty work of its creator. Be it stealing sensitive data, monitoring your behaviour or just deleting all your files.
Other types of malware
- Worms: Nasty programmes that spread quickly and steal your data or create backdoors for hackers to enter through.
- Trojan Horses: If you know the story of Troy and the Greeks, then you can probably guess what this type of malware does. It presents itself as a trustworthy source, and the next thing you know: all the Trojans are dead.
- Ransomware: A ransomware attack is when the programme keeps you out of your own files. To access those files, you have to make a payment of sorts, often in some form of crypto-currency.
- Spyware: Spyware does not attack, but observe. It can find out what your passwords are, banking information and general online behaviour. Creepy, I know!
- Spam and Phishing: Phishing scams are called social engineering attacks. You’ll experience this attack via emails or other social platforms. Be wary of anything that’s too good to be true!
We’ve written another blog article on Cyber Security. Have a look here!
As you can see, there are many online threats, but a trusted antivirus programme can protect you against all of them!
The necessity of antivirus software for businesses
As you know, the protection of company data is crucial. This ensures that the private and sensitive information of their customers stays private.
Antivirus software should be updated frequently.
With new viruses popping up all over the place and mutating as they move along, the latest updates will be sure to keep them in check!
Where can I find antivirus software for my business?
There are many options when it comes to antivirus software. However, the best bet for your company will be software that is created and maintained by experts.
We offer a reasonable antivirus software package that will protect you against viruses and all sorts of other malware.
Feel free to contact us today and we’ll take care of all your virus protection and data protection necessities!
And that is why antivirus software is an absolute necessity in 2021 and 2022.
For more great content and posts, follow us on Facebook.